Another month, another purging of games that are just not getting enough love, or that I’m just not interested in any more. Yes, there’s one instalment of the Purge missing, but work has been kind of crazy lately and all the usual excuses. But you’re not here for that, you’re here to know how things stand and maybe score some good games for not much. So, let’s see how things went since last time, shall we?
What? You don’t care about what games got traded/given/sold/exchanged? you just want the new stuff? Skip everything and get to the good stuff here!
How am I doing on the quest to get rid of 100 games before the year’s end? Pretty well, really. Last time we checked, I had gotten rid of 18 games and from the last batch I put up, I got rid of another 7, for a total of 25 games gone so far. Not bad, huh?
- Fading Glory: Given to one of my regular wargame buddy. Well, regular in that we play every few months…
- No Retreat: Sold to another player at the big Stack Academy.
- Empire of the Sun: Sold and hopefully found a better home.
- Blackbeard 2nd: Given away as a raffle prize.
- Dominant Species: The Card Game: Given away as a raffle prize.
- Galaxy: The Dark Ages: Given away to someone who does a lot for the community. Well worth it.
- Louis XIV: Given away to the same individual as above.
And this is what is gone so far:
- Enemy in Sight
- Star Trek Red Alert
- The Bridges of Shangri-La
- 1655: Habemus Papam
- Kingdom Builder
- Pax Baltica
- B-29 Superfortress
- Panzer Grenadier: Battle of the Bulge
- Power & Weakness
- Roads & Boats
- The Last Crusade: The Russian Front
- Trains and Stations
- 7 Wonders
- Cleopatra’s Caboose
The New List
A very diverse list this time, with many being “package deals”.
Antiquity: Just too fiddly for me. Lots of nice ideas, but the stacking, unstacking of counters is a little much. Battles of Westeros:I really wanted to learn and play this, but with so many 2 player games in my collection, I’ll simply never get around to playing it.
- Bohnanza, including Bohnaparte, Al Cabohne, Ladybohn, Telebohn: It’s been over 10 years since I played Bohnanza. Good game, just not great, at least to me. Some of the expansions are stand alone.
Commands & Colors: Ancients and Expansion Pack #1 – Greece & Eastern Kingdoms: a nice implementation of the Commands & Colors system, but again, too many 2 player games and I’m discovering that I’m not that big on Ancient warfare. A Game of Thrones: The Card Game, with some of the expansion packs, namely A Change of Seasons, Ancient Enemies, Calling the Banners, Epic Battles, Kings of the Sea, Princes of the Sun, Sacred Bonds, The Battle of Ruby Ford, The Raven’s Song, The War of Five Kings. The game is quite good, but it never caught on with my local groups and since it’s a LCG, making decks for 3 other players got to be a little much.
- The Great War in Europe: Deluxe Edition: The odds of me playing a monster game are going down as time goes by. Looks very interesting, but I really don’t think I’ll ever get around to playing it.
- Kill the Overlord: Not my style.
- Mascarade and Mascarade: The Damned: Way too chaotic for my taste or the taste of my groups. You need a very outgoing group for this to work well.
Railways Express: I had hopes for this… Six Days of War: The Arab-Israeli Conflict, 1967: If you have the patience to decipher the rules and get in touch with the designer to get your questions answered, there’s a good game in there. I just don’t have the time/patience, with so many other great games out there.
These games are still looking for a new home:
- Strafexpedition 1916
- Pacific Typhoon
Railways of the World: The Card Game
So, if there’s something that you’d like, don’t hesitate to get in touch with me. I’m sure we can come up to some sort of an agreement…
A few things are already gone!
- Railways of the World: The Card Game
- Railways Express
- Commands & Colors: Ancients and Expansion Pack #1 – Greece & Eastern Kingdoms
- Battles of Westeros
- A Game of Thrones: The Card Game, with some of the expansion packs, namely A Change of Seasons, Ancient Enemies, Calling the Banners, Epic Battles, Kings of the Sea, Princes of the Sun, Sacred Bonds, The Battle of Ruby Ford, The Raven’s Song, The War of Five Kings
- Six Days of War: The Arab-Israeli Conflict, 1967